Sunday, April 20, 2008

Veni, vidi, vici: Vino!

We came, we saw, we conquered: WINE! Ward and I were the lucky invitees to a special wine tasting event for a new Italian restaurant that will be opening in a few months here at Fort Knox. So rank does have some fun benefits at times. This was one social event that I was happy to attend.

We were invited with a group to help choose the wines for the restaurant and were given a cards to judge each of the selections according to smell, taste, body and finish.

We started with an array of white wines but to tell you the truth all of the sniffing, swirling, and tasting got to be a bit much after the third or fourth wine . . . fruity vs earthy, hints of melon? After the ninth wine I just wrote on the card whether I liked it . . . or not. Between the ten or so white wines and the twelve or so red, we got to sample some dishes from the chef's menu. Now that's what I'm talkin' bout . . . this was not your Olive Garden variety, but the real stuff. Bruschetta, marinated kalamata olive and mushrooms, lasagna rolls, and beef tenderloin on crostini! Giada would have been proud! And it made all of the wine tasting worthwhile.

For the surprise finish we had the dessert wines. Just two samples of fine port. Wow. I had no idea that is was so delicious. I wrote Yum! on my card. Smooth, full-bodied, plum with a surprise hint of chocolate. Chocolate? No small wonder I liked it.

No comments: