Monday, April 7, 2008

Sense and Sensibility

I watched the second installment of PBS's version of Jane Austin's Sense and Sensibility. I thought it was done very well, even if I don't like it quite as well as the Emma Thompson version. Elinor and Marianne were cast well, as were the brothers Ferras. I'm guessing this version must have kept more closely to the original story (I haven't read the book) as Lucy Steele had a sister, and the mother, Mrs. Ferras, actually made an appearance. The Emma Thompson version of that part was much funnier though, with Mrs. John Dashwood being the one to having a hissy fit and throwing Lucy Steele out on her heel.

But the one thing I like about this one better was the much more attractive, more studly version of Colonel Brandon! And he seemed to do the right thing, more for the sake of being altruistic than for catching the eye of Marianne, though he did win the fair lady's heart in the end, and rightly so. It made it much easier to accept the age difference with him being a handsome man!

Another thing I liked a bit better about this version, Hugh Grant in all his boyish hunckyness not withstanding, is that you got a better feel for Edward and his character, just a bit more insight into the uncomfortable situation he had gotten himself into.

But then again, you can't go wrong with anything Jane Austin.

No comments: