Thursday, April 10, 2008

Beware the Ides of March

I know that it's April, but I promise you'll understand my title. On March 3, Oprah initiated a movement with her announcement of a special book and on line class for the next few weeks. It is the study of the book A New Earth, by Eckhardt Tolle. He is evidently the greatest spiritual thing since sliced manna. I'm only bringing the whole thing up because there is discussion in our book club as taking this book on as our next assignment and that's when I started digging around, looking at reviews and even found lots of You Tube videos about the whole thing. It's definitely taken on a life of its own, with followers and of course the grand poobah, Oprah, is leading the way.

When it comes to spiritual reading, I don't like to stray from the Bible, which is the only self-help book that is worth anything! But there are lots of good authors who expound on that great book or help you study it. This is not what we're talking about in Eckhardt Tolle's book.

Tolle, who is a "master of spiritual wisdom" (according to his book cover label) will take us through a shift in consciousness that will enable us to let go of pre-conceived notions thus offering a way out of suffering and into peace. Oh boy! I've always wanted to explore my inner realm of consciousness and then move into the divinity of humanity, of self. So there you have it . . . the divinity of self, which means of course then, that you don't really have a need for a God (you are one). But one thing I know is true, and that is that God IS God and I AM NOT!

That's what I call being spiritually aware as 1 John 4:1 states: Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

But of course as one reviewer of the books states, "You will only appreciate it if you are ready to be awakened. The people who react so negatively to this book are not awakened and living too much in their ego." So of course I'm one of those just not awakened and living too much in their ego . . . sigh . . . no Nirvana for me! Seriously, though, this kind of New Age Crap is just a bunch of bulgogi, but so many folks are drinking the Kool-Aid!


1 comment:

MacKenzie said...

Another blog I read is doing a whole series on Oprah and why Christian women are so enamored with her when so many of the things she promotes are blatantly opposed to the bible. Here is the link to the first of the series: http://allthingshendrick.blogspot.com/2008/04/oprah-study.html