Saturday, March 1, 2008

Thoughts On the Adornment of Women

Last night I went to a ladies get-together that was also a jewelry party. You know the catalog ponzi scheme type. You know when you go that you will buy something simply out of peer pressure, and sometimes that is exactly why you go. It's a fun way to browse and get opinions from your friends, it's kind of like the old quilting bee get together, accept of course the only thing produced is a purchase. I actually almost always enjoy these types of parties, escpecially if its a group of fun women, and last night's really was; the jewelry was just an excuse to enjoy each other's company.

Anyway, I got to thinking about why we women like to adorn ourselves. It goes without saying that we all (generally speaking for our gender) do like jewelry. The colonel always thought that I really didn't go in much for this, but lately I've been purchasing some things, and he asked me about it. I replied to him that, no I've always enjoyed jewelry, we just couldn't afford it so much.

But that doesn't really answer the question as to why I like jewelry. Don't get me wrong, I'm not into flashy, look at me stuff. But things that enhance what I'm wearing, yeah, that's the ticket. Hey, I'm not going to get on the psychiatrist's couch over this, but I just hope there's no underlying need for attention here. Nah, I just like jewelry :-)

But my all time, anywhere, any occasion favorite? Pearls, of course!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes'm mam I agree. I sometimes get some old pop bottle caps, punch hole em, and run em through with some baling twine. This a make for a nice adornment, the little lady loves em.

Earl Pitts

June Cleaver said...

Well, Earl, you sound like a thoughtful and thrifty kinda guy. But consider buying the little lady some jewelry; it could prevent that nasty rope burn and you would be a good Uhmerican by helping the economy. Hey, I'm just sayin'!