Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Who Raised These Guys?

Thoughtfulness does not come naturally, I think. Hopefully you are taught these things growing up. And to prove my point I'm going to tell you about my two adult children who did some very thoughtful things recently.

Betty not only planned out in great detail an itinerary that was very interesting for our visit to Utah, but also provided meals for us, which included packing lunches for our many outings and making dinners as well. Wow! In fairness, I'll have to give some credit to Betty's husband (and by extension to his parents) as he was in on the planning as well. Think about what this entailed. Okay, so you're thinking figuring out a schedule that involves six people (besides yourself) getting up, getting showers, breakfast and on the road is easy? Ha! Let's not even get into the different personalities and circadian rhythms and ideas of what we should do when and what articles of clothing are appropriate for the current weather conditions. Whew! They handled all of these variables with aplomb and (mostly) patience. Thanks guys!!

Then, Wally got a chance to demonstrate what mercy really is. He came through for his little bro. The Beave, being the careless guy that a typical 14 year old can be, first dropped his ski gloves while riding up the chair lift. Then, as if that really hadn't given him an idea that you really need to hang onto items securely while going up the lift, on the next trip up , he managed to lose a pole. Wally was kind enough to go back and retrieve both of these items, and what really demonstrates his thoughtfulness is that he did not rub it in or berate his little brother. That is grace. I figure Wally will probably hold onto this incident for future use!

But as you can tell by the title of this post, I'm actually giving the Ward and myself at least some of the credit for everything I've written about because, hey, we raised these guys.

5 comments:

Craig said...

Glad you enjoyed the visit. When do I get a pseudonym?

June Cleaver said...

If you don't want your moniker to be Eddie Haskel :) I suggest you and MacKenzie search TV Land to see what might be appropriate, subject to my approval of course!

June Cleaver said...

Oh, I just thought of one, if that would be acceptable to you. Try Alex P. Keaton; I think Betty would agree he would be perfect!

Craig said...

Awesome!

June Cleaver said...

I agree! Now we need to tell MacKenzie to get to work . . . she can add Alex P. Keaton to our family, hooah!