Monday, March 31, 2008

Last Sign of Spring

When you know that Spring is really here is when you spend at least one afternoon raking and trimming. We did that yesterday! All old piles of leaves, gone! Dead plants, gone! New growth trimmed back, weeds pulled, and dirt in the flower boxes loosened and ready. Holes to China filled in, bald spots reseeded and fresh straw strewn. And we were in before the rain, which is today nicely finishing up the job. Now we wait and watch the weather and Farmer's Almanac for planting times. This is the hardest part, though I have cultivated (ha ha) patience over the years.

Which brings me back to just thinking about what to plant. When looking through magazines on planting I came across a plant that looked like something I would be willing to try. Lantana is a drought hardy plant which comes in a variety of colors and which also takes little attention. My kind of plant! A bonus is that it is a perennial, though in my planting zone it may be treated like an annual. I may give it a try in the flower bed in front of the house.

No comments: