Monday, March 10, 2008

Cell Phone Billing

I just received my cell phone bill for the month and if I wasn't confused before I sure am now. The only reason I noticed was that it was just a little bit higher than normal, and I knew that my company had been sending notices out that they were changing billing but getaloadathis! I'm being taxed from three different states, two of which I'm not living in nor do we have a cell phone number in . . . I realize it can be confusing when you have a family plan and we are military so we move a lot, but here are some of the charges:

Kansas State-Univ Assessment (huh?!)
Washington State-B&O Fee (again, huh?!)
DuPont (WA) City-Utility Users Surcharge (double, huh?!)
Kansas State-911 Surcharge and Taxes (I'm also being charged these for Kentucky and WA)
DuPont (WA) City-Sales Tax
Leavenworth City-Sales Tax

There are a myriad of other charges that appear to be associated with Kentucky, and as I'm living in Kentucky I'm OK with that (I guess) . . .

The company has broken down these charges into two groups, one stating the following: surcharges are not taxes or amounts we are required to collect from you by law. My understanding is that these are entirely arbitrarily set by the company. Hmmm, does that mean my base rate is not enough for them?

Then let's move on to the fees and taxes they are required to collect from customers on behalf of the government. Why are they collecting for states that I no longer live in and have no originating cell phone number in?!

It seems right and proper for me to pay taxes only in the state I reside in. Am I wrong?! Maybe a "to-go" phone is the way to go.

No comments: