Friday, May 2, 2008

With a Side Of Grits

I began my love affair with Waffle House in Georgia, where this ubiquitous little yellow rectangle of a restaurant can be seen on every corner of every downtown block in Atlanta. And I did frequent a number of them, but only during daylight hours. It became a regular thing for Beaver and I to get breakfast after dropping off Wally for some home school co-op classes at 7:30 every Tuesday morning. We had some time to kill and I could linger over fresh hot coffee and a pecan waffle and the Beaver loved their waffles with hot chocolate on the side.

Then when we traveled I would look for those black letters on bright yellow and beg to skip the McDonald's for this preferred fast food. Where else can you get breakfast all day? Okay, there are some other places that do that. But it's the only place where you can get a simple meal of a pecan loaded waffle washed down with a cup of Joe. And if you're feeling really hungry, you can load up with the belly-buster of a waffle, two eggs over easy, grits, toast, and a side of sausage. All for $5.95!!

I'm bringing this up because today Ward and I had to get up at 0430 to be on the road to Fort Campbell by 0530 because they only do PRK eye surgery there. So I skipped breakfast (didn't want to skip the shower) so we could be there on time. I did chow down on a granola bar but it just wasn't enough to tide me over until lunch.

On the way into post we passed several Waffle Houses, so there was no doubt where we were headed after Ward was cleared from the hospital. I ordered up the All-Star breakfast and scarfed up just about every bit; even our waitress remarked that I had done a good job! "I'm full" just wasn't enough to describe it; I needed the German expression "Ich bin satt!" meaning more or less, "I'm satisfied!"

No comments: