Thursday, May 8, 2008

Hedy's Muesli

OK, just for you Betty, here is the recipe for my Muesli, well really my Mom's Muesli, which has its origins from a health clinic in Germany. (Dr. Bircher-Benner)

HEDY'S MUESLI

This is a three part recipe. The first part is prepared the evening before, as the oats need to soak overnight. It is preferable to use rolled oats, but quick will do in a pinch. (I usually only use quick oats for some types of cookies.)

Part I

One part oats to one part liquid. The liquid can be milk, or fruit juice. I like vanilla soy milk or 1% regular milk. For this recipe, let's go with one cup of oats, as one cup of oats will make about 2-3 generous servings. Pour the milk over the oats in a bowl that has a lid or cover with a plate. If the liquid does not cover the oats completely add until it is there is at least a 1/4 inch covering the top of the oats. The oats will absorb the liquid overnight.

Part II

The next morning stir the following into your soaked oats:

Plain yogurt, 1/2 cup or more

Juice of one lemon

One Granny Smith apple, grated

2-3 tablespoons honey (heat a few seconds in microwave to soften)


Part III

Now here is the fun part. This is where you can individualize your Muesli. Take any or all of the items from below and throw them in or on your mixed basic Muesli.

Sliced green grapes

Sliced bananas

Sliced strawberries

Raisins

Walnuts

Almonds


That's it! Over the years my basic recipe has changed to accommodate my kids taste buds. Wally and Betty liked everything thrown in there; the Beave picks out the grapes, bananas, and raisins so I just put those out ala carte now. I love my bananas mixed in, but my walnuts and raisins on top. It's a personal choice thing.

1 comment:

MacKenzie said...

Okay, I have to try heating the honey because last time as soon as the honey hit the cold milk/oat mixture it got hard, stayed as a blog and wouldn't mix in so the muesli wasn't very sweet. Maybe Craig will like it better with the honey.