Thursday, May 22, 2008

There's No "I" in Team

But sometimes there wants to be a me. I saw this the other night when a player on Beaver's team was despairing of his place in the batting order. He's saying this out loud, mind you! He believes his placing is bad because he supposes he has less chance of RBIs in his current position, because the guys in front of him haven't been hitting. Not that he's been a big hitter either.

Is this a universal thing where a teen gets to the point where he's questioning all authority? (I know that's it happens in regard to your parents!) But your coach? Reminds me of some reading in the Old Testament, and especially in Judges where men did whatever was right in their own eyes.

It seems to me that when you're on a team, the effort you make should be for the team, not for self fulfillment. When you make it for individual achievement, you necessarily do things that aren't in the best interest of a group effort, because your goal at that point is different from a team goal. That doesn't mean you don't give your best as a team player, far from it. It means you give your best effort no matter what your position or place on the team.


No comments: