Sunday, May 4, 2008

Are You Talkin' to Me?

Well, maybe it wasn't a Robert DeNiro moment exactly, but close. After Ward's PRK eye surgery we were told it would be helpful to place an ice pack over his eyes for the next couple of hours. We were three hours from home, so we did the next best thing and headed to Walmart. There IS a Walmart within 10-15 minutes of every known town in the USA. We found one and I left Ward in the car and headed in to the Pharmacy section where I know they have ice bags and those types of items. (I had purchased an ice bag at Walmart several years ago when Betty had her wisdom teeth removed, so I know they have them.)

I find the section and I see Icy Hot and all kinds of thermal wraps, but no cold packs and no elusive ice bag. Maybe I'm not concentrating enough, so I loom in on the section and try focusing on the lower shelf. I look up briefly to see a gentleman in front of me a few feet away. I look down again, and then I hear, "What are you looking for?" It came from the gentleman ahead, so I look up and say, "An ice bag." He stares back at me with a little perplexed look on his face, and then I see him glance in back of me. I turn, and there in back of me a few yards away, is his (assuming this) wife, she's also looking a little perplexed. I figure things out quickly (no moss here) and laugh and say I'm sorry. This guy is so nice he tells me that if I can't find one a good recipe for a homemade ice bag is zip-lock bags filled with a mixture of 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts water, then freeze. I'm so embarrassed that I say, "that's worth a try. Thanks!"

2 comments:

Craig said...

Uh, I grew up 45 minutes from a Wal-Mart.

June Cleaver said...

Has MacKenzie never told you we have a tendency to exaggerate in our family?