Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Nigella's Breakfast Bars

From Nigella Lawson's new cookbook Nigella Express, these are like homemade chewy granola bars, and I'm sure they pack enough calories for a generous breakfast. I made them today and Beaver has been scarfing them up (or down as the case may be!)

Here is the recipe:*

1 14 oz can condensed milk
2 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame)
1 cup natural unsalted peanuts

1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F and oil a 9 x 13 pan
2. Warm the condensed milk in a large pan
3. Meanwhile, mix all the other ingredients together and add the warmed condensed milk, using a rubber spatula to fold and distribute
4. Spread the mixture into the oiled pan and press down with a spatula, making sure the surface is even
5. Bake for 1 hour, removed, and after about 15 minutes, cut into four across and four down to make 16 chunky bars. Let cool completely.

*I made my bars using dried cherries and almonds, and I didn't have the seeds on hand so I just put in a bit more oats. Still delicious! Also, watch the time carefully. My oven tends to run hot so I pulled these out at 50 minutes.

1 comment:

MacKenzie said...

Those look good. I keep finding all these great recipes but I can't try them yet. I hope I can still remember where they all were when we finally get to Texas.