Saturday, July 26, 2008

Guilt by Association

It's been a few weeks now since the incident, but I'm still feeling it's aftershocks. This is what happened. A friend of the Beave's got onto his Myspace account and posted a very nasty item on his bulletin board. With friend's like that who needs, well, you know.
When I read the item, my eyes bugged out, my heart raced and I felt faint. Yes, it was that bad and I removed it immediately, but not before several of Beave's friends had read it and said "WHAT?!"

Remember the science experiment where you sprinkle pepper on top of water and then place a single drop of liquid soap onto it? The pepper goes shooting off to the sides of the container. That is exactly the feeling I got about the Beave . . . it was a total repulsion based on a few words. Even when I found out that he had been punked by this acquaintance the ugliness of it remained, and you just can't shake it. There is this lingering doubt, I mean, what if he actually used those words.

This is why it is so important to choose friends wisely and words carefully. You are judged by your actions. And sadly, by the actions of those you associate with. So when your friends use expletives and do crass things because they think they are funny or cool and "man, I was just kidding!" people just naturally assume you condone, or actually do the same.

No comments: