Thursday, July 3, 2008

Limoncello Please

There is a new restaurant on post, Gallottas, billed as serving fine Italian cuisine. The Beaver and I went the other night and it is indeed a haute dining experience. But hey, we have Burger King, the bowling alley and the Officer's Club to compare it to, so by default it comes out ahead!

Beaver ordered a calzone, and I had the Caesar salad and Tuscan bread and bean soup, all served with crusty Italian bread and an olive oil/balsamic vinegar/herbs dipping sauce. All of these items were yummy and reasonably priced. And filling. When Beaver turns down dessert you know he's full.

But the dessert menu called to me when I saw what was on it. A couple of months ago I had read The Wedding Officer and the characters in that novel consumed vast quantities of limoncello after their sumptuous meals, so out of literary curiosity I thought I should try some.

Imagine my surprise when the waitress returns with a lovely looking mini soufflé item topped with whipped cream and toasted almonds. She must have seen my expression, and so I had to tell her that I was expecting a small glass of liqueur, you know a disgestivo, an after dinner cordial. Oops! She had instead brought out the Frozen Limoncello Cake. So the Beaver did get his dessert after all, and I got to taste both the limoncello and the luscious cake. Equally good!

No comments: