Thursday, February 5, 2009

Things That Grow On You

The idiom “to grow on you” means to become increasingly liked or appreciated by you. Some changes, if they are gradual you can get used to, but here I am talking about things that grow on you literally! Those are the kinds of changes I really, really dislike.

And of course that’s different than things that grow IN you, like a little person, because they eventually come out and then you are physically back to square one. No, I’m talking about things that grow on you that aren’t supposed to be there, and that you will never like or appreciate.

Like a ganglion cyst for instance. When did that get there?! There on my ankle, how long has that little bump been there? I only noticed it after a run when it hurt a little and I thought I had tied my shoes too tight. At my age, you get a bump or a lump, you figure you’d better check it out. So I went in to see the DOC this morning and he said, “You’ll live,” doing his best Woody Allen impersonation which was funny because I’m pretty sure he was of Malaysian descent, though it’s best these days not to profile, if you know what I mean.

If it’s not bothering me there is no need to cut and I definitely have an aversion to cutting so I’m just going to loosen my running shoes and hope it doesn’t get bigger.

No comments: