Thursday, February 28, 2008

Ashes to Ashes

My friend's mother died a few weeks ago. She had been very ill for quite some time and she and her husband had recently moved from another state to live with their daughter. The problem is that they had not made any plans for what type of funeral she would want. A hasty decision was made for cremation, but no service, of any kind.

This has been very difficult for my friend who has been treading lightly around her father, not wishing to upset him, but in the meantime she has been upset by no funeral or memorial service. They have finally decided, after three weeks, to have a memorial service back in their home state. And she has convinced her father not to scatter the ashes in the back yard, but to keep them in his room until they can be interred with him.

I'm just going over all of this to remind myself that these kinds of things should be discussed beforehand so there is no doubt or confusion about what the deceased would want. Please people, have it in writing! Now excuse me while I go write out my will. :)

No comments: