Friday, August 29, 2008

Labor Day and New Beginnings

Labor day weekend. The unofficial end of Summer and beginning of Fall. It used to be the real bookend of summer along with Memorial Day in the Spring to bracket off those glorious days of no school with swimming, camping, hiking and wonderful summer food.

Now school starts in the middle of August (or sooner for us!) and children across the United States are robbed of that special feeling that Labor Day used to bring, the one of new and exciting beginnings. Even college students are mostly all in classes by Labor Day Weekend. So it becomes a ho-hum holiday, more defined by seeing Jerry Lewis and his telethon than anything else. (Oh, sure, maybe it is also the unofficial start of football season too.)

I miss the good old days of the final Barbecue of the season, and being able to say no white shoes after Labor Day! I will never really be a follower of the solstices and equinoxes as markers of my seasons. Those are not neat and tidy, like the end of a three month span. So I will be celebrating Labor Day this year with a pot-luck get-together and labor unions will not be mentioned at all, nor will I be thinking about the day of work I might be missing. And I will be commemorating all of the wonderful ends of summer, beginnings of a new school year that I have been a part of, and trust me there were a lot!

As I posted on my white board eighteen years ago on the first day of our home school, Be there or be square!

2 comments:

Craig said...

I thought it was no white clothing after Labor Day. That's the rule I follow.

June Cleaver said...

You're not talking about that sheet like outfit with the pointy hat, are you?!