Monday, August 18, 2008

Ain't She a Peach?

Our monthly book club meeting is coming up and you might well ask what does that have to do with peaches? Well, it's a circuitous route, but we get there. The title of our book is Rhett Butler's People, and yes it's an add on to the famous Gone With the Wind tale of Scarlet and Rhett, but from Rhett's side of the story. It's not bad and keeps an accurate parallel to the original. Of course you had to like the original, and I did.

When I'm reading a novel I always pay attention to the food mentioned in the setting and since Tara is in Georgia, I naturally had to think of Georgia peaches . . . because making a Vidalia Onion Cobbler doesn't sound nearly as appetizing, does it? And our commissary had fresh local peaches by the basket. So it was serendipity wasn't it, that I should make a peach cobbler while reading about Scarlet and Rhett finally living happily ever after!

No comments: