Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Impossible Vicissitudes


I never really liked this painting. But now it captures the exact way I am feeling today. Much like these lines from Wordsworth's Michael Angelo:

Do not call up to me those days departed
When I was young, and all was bright about me,
And the vicissitudes of life were things
But to be read of in old histories,
Though as pertaining unto me or mine
Impossible.



Now I have reached the age where I know better. Untenable things happen to me and mine, and recently to friends of mine. Things that make a heart cry out WHY? They are real and present and how we cope with them tells more about our character than we sometimes wish to know.

What do you say to a family who loses their three year old baby girl to brain cancer after fighting the battle for over 13 months?

What do you say to a family whose father just found out he has an inoperable brain tumor?

The horrible human truth is that you feel guilty that your family is whole and healthy. You feel relief that it’s not you going through the ordeal.

But you want to help. Help in any way possible, beginning but not ending with constant prayer.

No comments: