Saturday, October 25, 2008

He Ain't Heavy

Living on an Army post I see all kinds of training take place. Every once in a while I'll see something that I haven't seen before.

I was doing my morning jog and it just happens that I pass a training area for some Armored Cavalry soldiers about the time they do their morning PT (physical training). They are usually doing various calisthenics, such as push-ups, sit-ups, stretches, etc. But today was different as they were doing a kind of race between sets of teams. It was a relay that went like this, one soldier hoisted a fellow soldier across his back much like a rescue carry, then ran up and then back down a small hill. Then they switched out. Now these soldiers varied in height, weight and yes, even fitness! But it was an interesting concept, they were obviously in some kind of rescue training as the guy being carried kind of hung like a rag doll (simulating being injured?). It certainly didn't look easy. But it was the ultimate He ain't heavy, he's my brother kind of training!

That's what I love about our soldiers! They participate in daily PT, then go on to do their daily jobs which can involve anything from shooting a gun or a tank, to working in an office, to teaching multiple career courses. In the Army you have to multi-task. And they are generally speaking very good at it!

No comments: