Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Mother Of All Comfort Foods

And you just know that is Mac and Cheese! Yesterday I made a whole cafeteria style comfort food meal and I didn't even get to eat it.

On the menu? Well, the best Macaroni and Cheese ever, which is homemade of course, Betty Crocker's meat loaf, your elementary cafeteria green beans with bits of bacon, and the pies de resistance, lime jello with pears! All that was missing was a lunch room lady and a hair net.

The reason the Beaver and I did not get to partake is that I made this meal for a special family who's Dad has brain cancer and has just completed radiation which has all but wiped out his taste buds and mouth lining. He needed something easy to chew and swallow, it didn't much matter what it tastes like. His eyesight is fine though. I hope that seeing all of these old school cafeteria specials (hey, I never missed Mac and Cheese day at school!) would bring back some happy memories.

My friend and her family were smiling broadly as I unloaded the "retro" fair. I'll find out today if it went down well, but they know that it was served with a big helping of love.

No comments: