Saturday, July 24, 2010

Abide In Him

I haven't written since my diagnosis of glioblastoma, which is a type of brain tumor. Really we were on a fast moving train between the initial "shadow" that showed up in a CAT scan in St. Loius, to the the full blown diagnosis a few days later back in Kansas at KU Medical Center. It does all seem a bit of blur, especially after the biopsy was done and before radiation treatment began. MD Anderson, the huge cancer medical center in Houston gave us a call with the possibility of operating to remove the tumor. I must say, I made that trip thinking "I don't know about this Lord!"


After a couple days of testing and a special MRI, the Docs said this is a "No Go!" To tell you truth the I had already gotten that message from the Lord! The thing is though that we had make that trip so we could assure ourselves that we got a second opinion, and would never question that we were moving forward in the right direction. God is so good about that reassurance!

Well, we are now done with 4 out of six weeks of radiation and chemo, and aside from being bit fatigued, I am handling it quite well. I have lost some hair, but have very cute hats and scarves for cover (I know, such vanity!).

My family has been such a blessing by taking turns getting me to daily radiation treatments in Kansas; everyone has taken a turn; my son and his fiance, a good friend who just happened to visit, and my sisters. The extra added bonus--quality time with people I love--blessings upon blessings!

That brings me to my whole attitude about having this illness. I know the Lord has this whole thing under control! From the moment I heard the word "shadow" I knew this was a brain tumor and and I also knew the Lord would help me handle everything that would be happening to me. God's grace is sufficient for me. He also gave me a verse about abiding in Him. I am still working on that . . . it means to remain in Him. I intend to do just that!

No comments: