Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rock Out



When I found out Betty and her husband were going to make me a "Grammy" I immediately wanted to go shopping for baby clothes. Unfortunately, I wasn't going to find out the gender of erstwhile named "Nigel" until he/she was born. Well, that puts a cramp in one's style for buying baby things . . . they are all very gender specific with either football, baseball themes or pink, very pink feminine ruffles.

So, I had to tame my urge with the thought, that OK, I will concentrate on buying one big thing. What one big thing could I get that they would need, and I say need, because the parents involved here are very practical. No frivolous purchases please. Well, then it had to be a rocking chair.

When dealing with infants, if memory serves me correct, when trying to calm them some type of rocking is necessary. Having a chair makes the process so much easier! It's also great for nursing. I expect it will be a stress reliever for anyone involved.

So my quest began. I really would have liked to purchase an antique rocker, but after looking a while without much success I settled on a newly made oak hand-rubbed rocker made by inmates at the Fort Leavenworth DB (disciplinary barracks). Not only are they beautifully crafted used dowels (instead of staples) they come close to the design that Dad of baby-yet-to-be-named favored; the Cracker Barrel wooden rocker. So, hopefully I scored some points there.

Now that the gift is purchased, I await that very special call! My bag is packed, I will load up the rocker and I can be at their home in 4 1/2 hours. Get ready to rock out!

1 comment:

MacKenzie said...

It's cute!

And I'm ready to find out the gender too. I'm tired of yellow and green things.