Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wild Thing






This year I went for totally unconventional plants both in my flower boxes and my little bedding area in front of our quarters. Things are just now beginning to fill in. If we were here until August, I think it would have turned out quite nicely.

Anyway it's different than your standard impatiens bed. The first photo above is from the area in front of the house; the only plants I remember for sure are the yellow lantana; I picked the others for color and dependability. The ivy growing along the brick wall will slowly fill in up to the iron railing and should have pretty blue or purple blooms. It is morning glory and tends to take over.

The two center photos show a little experiment I did. I bought a packet of wild flower seeds and put them in a ground box that is next to our outdoor "patio" area.
They have just started to bloom and for the longest time they looked like a bunch of weeds! Actually unless I get some more blooms, I think it still looks similar to weeds, but I can see that there are a number of heads getting ready to open. Maybe in a week it will look like the a beautiful mountain meadow . . . or not!

1 comment:

MacKenzie said...

I like the wild look.